|Statecraft and intellectual renewal in late Ming China : the cross-cultural synthesis of Xu Guangqi (1562-1633)|
|Statecraft and intellectual renewal in late Ming China : the cross-cultural synthesis of Xu Guangqi (1562-1633) / edited by Catherine Jami, Peter Engelfriet, and Gregory Blue.|
Includes bibliographical references (p. -455) and index.
CONTENTS: Acknowledgements -- Illustrations and Maps – Introduction / Catherine Jami, Peter Engelfriet, and Gregory Blue.
Part I: Historiography and Context:
1. Xu Guangqi in the West: Early Jesuit Sources and the Construction of an Identity / Gregory Blue -- 2. Xu Guangqi in his Context: The World of the Shanghai Gentry / Timothy Brook -- 3. The Image of Xu Guangqi as Author of Christian Texts / Ad Dudink.
Part II: Statesman, Confucian, and Christian:
4. Xu Guangqi and Buddhism / Eric Zürcher -- 5. Xu Guangqi’s Conversion as a Multifaceted Process / Nicolas Standaert --
6. A Note on the Context of Xu Guangqi's Conversion / Jacques Gernet -– 7. Opposition to Western Science and the Nanjing Persecution / Ad Dudink -- 8. Sun Yuanhua: A Christian Convert Who Put Xu Guangqi’s Military Reform Policy into Practice / Huang Yi-Long.
Part III : Experimenting in the Fields of Tradition:
9. From the Elements to Calendar Reform: Xu Guangqi's Shaping of Scientific Knowledge / Keizo Hashimoto and Catherine Jami --
10. Xu Guangqi’s Attempts to Integrate Western and Chinese Mathematics / Peter Engelfriet and Siu Man-Keung -- 11. On the Star Catalogue and Atlas of Chongzhen Lishu / Sun Xiaochun -- 12. Who was the Author of the Nongzhen Quanshu? / Francesca Bray and George Métailié -- 13. Astronomy, Chinese and Western: The Influence of Xu Guangqi’s Views in the Early and Mid-Qing / Han Qi -- 14. The Influence of Euclid’s Elements on Xu Guangqi and his Successors / Horng Wann-Sheng -- Xu Guangqi’s Career: An Annotated Chronology / Ad Dudink.
Glossary – Abbreviations--Bibliography—Index--About the Contributors.
Local access dig.pdf. [Jami-Statecraft.pdf]