|In: 耶穌會羅馬檔案館明清天主教文獻. Chinese Christian texts from the Roman Archives of the Society of Jesus, v. 6.30. Min li pu zhu jie huo 民曆鋪註解惑 / Tang Ruowang 湯若望 (Johann Adam Schall von Bell)|
Full bibliographic citations see: Ad Dudink & Nicolas Standaert, Chinese Christian Texts Database (CCT-Database).
JapSin II, 39 MS
Minli puzhu jiehuo 民曆鋪註解惑.
By Tang Ruowang 湯若望 (Johann Adam Schall von Bell).
One juan. Manuscript written on silk paper with red square frames, bound in one volume, European style, with Chinese and Arabic numbers on the folios. 28.4 x 16.3 cm.
The Latin inscription on the cover reads: “De electio dierum et alii additis in kalenda | rio (auctoribus Schall et Verbiest) MS. pretiosissimum!”Folios 1–3 contain the preface of Hu Shi’an 胡世安, the preface written by Adam Schall himself and the table of contents. The manuscript consists of the folios 1–20. There are ten columns in each half folio, with twenty-two characters in each column. A comparison between our manuscript and the printed edition in Jap-Sin II, 39.8 shows that:
1. The preface of Hu Shi’an (folio 1) is exactly the same as in the printed edition.
2. The preface written by Adam Schall himself (folio 2) has two more phrases than in the printed edition, namely: 並摘先後三奏疏語，暨曉惑一則附後 (we hereby include quotations from our three memorials to the throne presented some time ago together with a declaration to some doubts). As the first appendix in the printed edition can be found also in the manuscript, but the second was added later on, when a new edition was made, these last two phrases in the preface were suppressed.
3. The manuscript omits the two-folio list of officials employed in the Imperial Observatory.
4. In the manuscript (folio 3b) the phrase 選擇義同鋪註 is added after the phrase 以理上論 in the table of contents.
5. On folio 1a (Arabic: 4a) of the main text in the manuscript the title of the edition is given together with names of the author and the reviser: 耶穌會士湯若望纂著，南懷仁校訂 (compiled and written by Tang Ruowang and Nan Huairen, both of the Society of Jesus).
6. Folio 1b in the main text of the manuscript gives a note in small characters: 擇吉日大合樂，此是重時日也, which last phrase is not found in the printed edition (folio 197b). Again, the manuscript gives: 四面之坐，象四時也，此是重方向也. The printed edition omits this last phrase.
7. Folio 2a, line 6, of the main text in the manuscript reads: 古之王者，有了天下，必須首頌正朔. The printed edition (folio 198a) reads: 古之王者，撫有天下.
8. Folio 3a, line 2, of the main text reads: 愛戴前代的美意. The printed edition (folio 199a, line 8) reads: 愛戴前代的原意.
9. The marginal notes given in folio 201b of the printed edition were added later. They do not appear in the manuscript.
10. Folio 9b–10a (Arabic: 12b–13a ) has the phrase: 選擇義同鋪註, which does not appear in the printed edition.
Source: Albert Chan, S.J., Chinese Books and Documents in the Jesuit Archives in Rome, pp. 333-334.